[postgis-users] timespan and ogr2ogr from postgis

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Jan 31 20:09:54 PST 2009

Jeff Hamann wrote:
> I have no idea where to send this and after signing up for the another
> list server, I thought I might try here. Let me first say that I have
> been using the heck out of ogr2ogr and postgis for a few days now to
> generate kml files with relative ease, using commands like:
>
> ogr2ogr -f kml himom.kml PG:"host=localhost dbname=$1" -sql "select
> st_transform(boundary,4326), blah, blah, blah from my table"
>
> While this is awsome, I need to export a timestamp/timespan into the kml
>  file as well so I can make use of the time slider in google earth. I'm
> a relative newbie to kml and have no idea if ogr2ogr/postgis can do
> this. Is this possible from within the SQL query, or will I need to post
> process the generated kml file and manipulate the file/entries myself
> using another tool?

Jeff,

I'd suggest asking on gdal-dev, hopefully getting a reply from Chris Condit.

I am doubtful there is an existing mechanism to do this. There comes a point
where it is hard to achieve really detailed control of the kml without
generating it with a custom script, or perhaps post-processing OGR generated
kml.

Best regards,