[postgis-users] Open buffers or parallel lines

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Jun 16 05:51:28 PDT 2009

This might help

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiplpgsqlfunctions

 upgis_lineshift(centerline geometry, dist double precision)

Though its simplified in the sense it bases on start and end points of
the linestring to do the shift.

To do true shifting when you have very curvy lines or polygons - you'd
probably want to use Simon's approach.

http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/postgis_tips_tricks/128/exploding-a-line
string-or-polygon-into-individual-vectors-in-postgis/

(hmm I though he had that wrapped more nicely in a function, but can't
find it).

Hope that helps,
Regina