[postgis-users] Modeling an ocean

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Thu Mar 5 05:53:13 PST 2009

Hi Dave,

We (MADEIRA GPS) are actually finishing a similar idea.
It has to do with ships tracking.

As for your needs:
It all falls into your tables definition...
Establish some semaphore fields defining what type of object you're describing
and go from there.

I assume you're trying to get optimized routes for your ships, right?
Start with the most direct route to the desired location, inspect the returned
data for any danger areas and *circumvent* them by means of a *buffer*
starting from their boundaries.  Remember to also apply these method for the
land mass you're going to port to.

As for the nearest neighbour on land or water that's pretty straightforward
using a distance query. You'll want to define a field for these objects with
a "safe-radius" value to help you circumvent them ... ;-)

Just some thoughts... :)

HTH,
Pedro Doria Meunier
GSM: +351961720188