[postgis-users] distance between two points and elevation

nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Wed Mar 11 06:54:55 PDT 2009

Hallo

If you are just working with distances of 1/4 of a mile I guess it would be easier to work in meters.
If you have a srid with the unit meters you could do something like this I guess

select st_Z(a.the_geom)-st_Z(b.the_geom) from (select user_input_point) a, (select the_geom from the_point_dataset) b
where st_dwithin(a.the_geom,b.the_geom,400(or the exact number in meters of 1/4 of a mile))

I don't know if st_dwithin consider the third dimension or just calculate from 2d

Hope this helps

Nicklas