[postgis-users] Can I build an indexoncombinednon-spatial&spatialcolumns?

Michael Smedberg Michael.Smedberg at redfin.com
Wed Mar 18 08:24:30 PDT 2009

It's possible to create GIST indexes on multiple columns of mixed types.
Here's an example of an index I use on my data:

create index listing_search_keys_centroid on listing_search_keys USING
GIST (centroid, listing_price, num_bedrooms) where centroid is not null;

This application is used for searching for homes for sale- each home has
a centroid, a listing price, and a number of bedrooms.  Users may
constrain by combinations of polygon, price, and bedrooms.

I haven't thought enough about your particular situation to know if this
is what you want to do, but it's certainly possible.