[postgis-users] Help: How do I change data type to character to numeric?

Marc Jansen jansen.marc at gmx.de
Sat Mar 28 07:19:44 PDT 2009

Hey Zia,

hope this helps:

Try to chhange the columns data-type (Be sure to have a backup):

ALTER TABLE table_name ALTER COLUMN column_name TYPE new_type

see e.g.: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-altertable.html

If you are experiencing problems, the USING- Part in that documentation
might be of interest.

Regards,

Marc