[postgis-users] value of spatial index on 300, 000, 000 point geometries

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue May 5 17:26:51 PDT 2009

For the reasons you point out, there's some drawbacks. However, the
spatial index does provide you a means to get spatial subsets much
more quickly than a full table scan. With 1.4 you could also store
your points as a geohash, which is pretty compact and can be indexed
and searched with a b-tree.

The question of what indexing buys you does rely a good deal on use case.

If you're doing random access on 400M points, the fastest bet by far
is to convert from single POINTs to MULTIPOINT patches of a few
hundred points. kneufeld can elaborate on the multifarious benefits.

P.