[postgis-users] OIDS, PostGIS and Quantum GIS

Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara jp.alcantara at geo-st.com
Fri May 8 04:18:21 PDT 2009

Hello,

perhaps this is a silly one, but I'm having a hard time dealing with
primary keys restrictions in Quantum GIS. Not always is possible or
desirable to put a, sometimes, artificial int4 PK in some tables only to
be able to load them in QGIS. Those restrictions are very frustrating.

I have been messing around for a solution, and I have experimented with
OIDS. This seems to be enough for QGIS, but I fear the behavior of OIDS.
I don't like the idea of non-controlled PK in my tables. So my question
is simple: does creating a table WITH OIDS means that the OIDS will be
part of the PK of the table like you it or not, or you have to specify
that the OIDS are part of the PK in the ADD CONSTRAINT statement?

My hope is that PostgreSQL uses internally OIDS without interfering with
the true PK of the table, while QGIS is happy by having them around.
OIDS will not play any role in my model other than that.

Greetings,

Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara