[postgis-users] Using JTS features / Mitre buffer

Michael Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Thu May 28 13:07:46 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I require some fancy square/mitre buffering for some polygons, which I've discovered using the JTS. (The default round buffering is overkill since it has far too many points, among other specific reasons). This buffering is not available in PostGIS. See attached screenshot to get an idea of what it is.

My questions are:
- Is the mitre buffer in GEOS, and can this library be accessed from PostGIS in a PL/C function?
- If not in GEOS, how can I wrap this somehow through from PG -> JTS -> PG?

I'm using PostGIS from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with full version info:
POSTGIS="1.3.3" GEOS="2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.0, 21 Dec 2007" USE_STATS

In addition, I have installed: libjts-java, but for some sad reason only postgresql-8.2-pljava-gcj (and not 8.3) is available from the default repositories. I can work with other PL languages, like python.

Suggestions, hints, and links to previous discussion (I tried searching) are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike