[postgis-users] Why can't PostGIS ./configure find libgeos_c ??

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 04:08:55 PST 2009

I'm compiling PostGIS with the following command:
./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config --with-geosconfig=/usr/local/bin/geos-config

Yet I keep getting this error message:
configure: error: could not find libgeos_c - you may need to specify the directory of a geos-config file using --with-geosconfig

The problem is: libgeos_c.so does indeed exist in the /usr/local/lib/. Also, geos-config points to the right direction. Here is the first four lines of geos-config:
#!/bin/sh
prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=/usr/local/lib

What happens? What should I do? I have tried everything ad nauseam, yet the error message keeps showing up. Help!!!

-Kresh