[postgis-users] Live access to PostGIS from MapInfo

InterRob rob.marjot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:49:49 PDT 2009

I agree on that: these postings are valuable to the MapInfo MI-L; when this
comes to a solution, I will post our findings there as well.
Anyhow, this made me think of what might be different between your and mine
configuration... How about the encoding of the database?

Mine is defined as follows:

CREATE DATABASE "nwpgdb"
  WITH OWNER = postgres
       ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
       LC_COLLATE = 'Dutch_Netherlands.1252'
       LC_CTYPE = 'Dutch_Netherlands.1252'
       CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;

Both 'UTF8' and 'SQL ASCII' render the same message in MapInfo: "Unable to
translate the Spatial Constraint." (using pgsqlODBC ANSI v8.03.04.00), for
both little datasets I tested with: provinces of the Netherlands (national
spatial reference system; EPSG 28992) and the political map op Africa
(non-earth), resulting in the following spatial constraints, respectively:
Provinces: CONSTRAINT "enforce_srid_SP_GEOMETRY" CHECK
(st_srid("SP_GEOMETRY") = 28992)
Africa: CONSTRAINT "enforce_srid_SP_GEOMETRY" CHECK (st_srid("SP_GEOMETRY")
= (-1))

What other differences between our set-ups may we think of?

Rob