[postgis-users] Where can I find the documentation to SQL shell (psql)?

Rick graham.rick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:04:58 PDT 2009

Henri

To get you started, this is what I do for a new install.  (to get you into psql)

First of all you need a user, the only initial user is 'postgres'

Also, you need to specify a database, the default is the database that
is the same name as the user.   There is one called 'postgres'

become the postgres user.
# su postgres  (or sudo su postgres)
# psql

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

postgres=# create role <you> with login superuser password <password>;
postgres=# ^D (or \q)
# ^D

you can now run psql as yourself, but you will want to create a
database to operate on...

# createdb <database>

# psql <database>

you're in.  you will have noticed that you get

enjoy, psql rocks for command line data manipulation and piping (as a filter)

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Henri De Feraudy <feraudyh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>  I just installed PostgreSL on windows XP. Now if I click on the Start button and then on Programs and then PostgreSQL 8.4 one of the items is "SQL shell (psql)".
> I cant find the documentation to this. In the document called PostgreSQL 8.4.1 documentation there is no occurrence of the word "Shell".
> Henri

Cheers!
Rick