[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] Sphere or Spheroid

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Oct 30 18:43:36 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> The main reason I would lean toward the using spheroid approach is I believe
> that is what the other databases do.  E.g SQL Server measures spheroid, I
> believe Oracle does as well, and not sure about IBM DB2 I can only assume
> so.

Indeed, one of my testers has been pointing out differences between
postgis and oracle which are arising precisely because the postgis
implementation is sphere based (or rather, *was* sphere based). I
think I have satisfied the question entirely in my mind, spheroid
should be the default. If people want to hack for speed, they have
that option.

P.