[postgis-users] NMEA 0183 table defs?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Sep 16 07:19:06 PDT 2009

Jeff,

   You may want to step back and decide what you are trying to model in the
database, then figure out how to manipulate your input data into the model.  Do
you really want to model the all NMEA data (yikes!) or, for example, just a
vehicle's current position?

   The two links you gave below have some excellent information; for simple
position, some of the more interesting NMEA sentances are GPGGA, GPRMC, and
GPGLL (and any proprietary sentences the device spits out).

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser