[postgis-users] mechanix of a query

Pavel Iacovlev iacovlev.pavel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 00:47:07 PDT 2009

You can enable debug of Mapserver
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-28

You can configure PostgreSQL to log all your queries. Here is a tool
to analyze them and how to make PostgreSQL log them
http://pgfouine.projects.postgresql.org/tutorial.html

Mapserver computes the current bbox view and sends the query to
PostGIS and then you get all the geometries that are inside that bbox.
Thats why you should create a GisT index to speed things up.

http://iap.md, The future is open