[postgis-users] Transforming Linestring to Multipoint

Mehmet Sirin m.sirin07 at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 27 10:09:20 PDT 2009

Hi guys!

I wonder if there is a simple or reasonable possibility to make a specific
amount of POINTS out of a LINESTRING or MULTILINESTRING?
I have some some Linestrings and now I want to transform these to a couple
of Points.

Is it possible, that means is there already an useable function?

If not I thought of something like this: 1.appoint bbox of the linestring
2.divide the bbox area into a grid (lets say 32 boxes) 3.use
line_interpolate_point function to get some intersections 4.save
intersection as new multipoint ... ??

...you can say I'm a beginner in using postgis and stuff like that.

i would appreciate your help!!

Best regards
Mehmet Sirin