[postgis-users] splitting a PostGIS db across multiple disks

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 07:33:33 PDT 2010

I asked this question yesterday, and received a very helpful pointer
from Ben Madin re. TABLESPACES. As noted in my reply in that thread, I
am also investigating the possibility of splitting a single table
across multiple disks.

However, I am going to post this question in a different way in this new thread.

Suppose I have a table FOO0 that stores info about every state in the
union. I know that some of these states will have mongo number of
rows, but I don't have to build all the states immediately. So, I
start with a few states' worth data, putting it in the default
/usr/local/pgsql/data location.

Then I start outgrowing that disk, and need to add another state, so I
add another disk, create a new tablespace, and create a new table
called FOO1 in this new tablespace. Then I can store the new states in
FOO1. As long as I break up my table into FOO0, FOO1, FOO2, and so on,
I can store each FOOn in a new tablespace. And, as long as I ensure
that each FOOn table contains a geographically consistent spatial
extent, I can build logic in my application to query the correct
table.

So, lets say 0 lon to -10 lon data are stored in FOO0, and -10 lon to
-20 lon in FOO1, then if the user requests data for -5 lon to -15 lon,
I will have to query both FOO0 and FOO1.

More work for me, but it is doable, no? Any insights on how to handle
something like this?

A corollary question -- are their any speed advantages to actually
creating multiple PostGIS instances, perhaps even splitting them
across multiple machines? Of course, it is going to be a pain in the
ass for me to maintain more than one instance of PostGres/PostGIS, so
I am not thrilled at that possibility. I'd rather have a single
instance just be managing data across multiple locations as required.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org