[postgis-users] USGS NED Dataset

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Aug 18 23:03:28 PDT 2010

Steve,

Yes it can.  You would use gdal2wkraster.py  packaged with WKT Raster to
load the data in.  You'll need working GDAL and Python  2.5 (I think 2.6
works as well now though haven't tried with 2.6).

>From there you should be able to use the ST_Intersects functions to cross
join your geometries with the elevation data.

Pierre has a tutorial here covering some exercises with elevation data.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRasterTutorial01

The last chapter of our book covers various exercises in loading different
types of raster data and working with geometry/raster together.
http://www.postgis.us/chapter_13

 We are in the middle of updating that since some things have been
added/simplified since we last updated it.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
http://www.postgis.us