[postgis-users] postgis from ubuntu to suse

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Dec 7 12:18:27 PST 2010

Hi Vinicius,

If SuSE created a Postgis enabled template, you could use that as the basis for your new database, so it will already have Postgis installed.

Otherwise use the usual commands to install Postgis in a Postgres database:

createlang plpgsql <new db>  (not needed with Postgres v9.0+)
psql -d <new db> -f <path to>/postgis.sql
psql -d <new db> -f <path to>/spatial_reference_sys.sql

You'll need to find where SuSE has put the last two files, if you have "locate" installed, then
"locate postgis.sql" will tell you where, or you can use "find"...

According to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik/PostGIS#For_Opensuse_11_2

the path is  /usr/share/postgresql/contrib/

Cheers,

  Brent Wood