[postgis-users] Diagram of Voronoï to Squelettisation of polygon

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Dec 13 19:18:31 PST 2010

Hi Jérôme,

As you said the idea would be to add a function that calculates a skeleton
from a polygon.

Currently pgRouting contains a couple of functions (
http://www.pgrouting.org/docs/1.x/index.html), but all of them require
network data with at least information about "start" and "end" ID of a
linestring. If the information about "start" and "end" ID doesn't exist yet,
you can run a function called "assign_vertex_id". But what you need is
network data.

Your skeleton function now would allow users to add one more step before and
retrieve a network from polygon data. So one could first run the skeleton
function, then the  "assign_vertex_id" function and finally have all the
routing functions available even if the original data was of polygon shape.

pgRouting has it's source code on GitHub (https://github.com/pgRouting/).
The "assign_vertex_id" function is here:
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/blob/master/core/sql/routing_topology.sql.
Though I'm not sure it wouldn't be a good idea to reorganize this a bit.
Well, I think we might better discuss details on the pgRouting list:

Best regards,
Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de