[postgis-users] Excel to Postgres

Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca
Mon Feb 15 13:03:02 PST 2010

Hi,
Every day I receive an Excel file containing lat long coordinates. I need
to import it to postgis.
Currently, I save the Excel file in CSV format and I use ogr2ogr to import
the contents into postgis. I would like to avoid human intervention.

I tried unsuccessfully  to define an ODBC link on the Excel file and use
ogr2ogr with odbc to import it to postgres/postgis.
I got this error
[Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] External table is not in the expected
format

Here is the command I sent
ogr2ogr -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=xxx user=xxx password=xxx dbname=geo"
"ODBC:odbc_urg,test" -nln "testODBCxls" -overwrite

where test is the sheet name inside the excel file

Anyone has a better idea on how to programmatically import excel data into
postgis?
thanks
Steve