[postgis-users] Should spatial_ref_sys.srid not be auto increment?

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Sun Jan 10 17:47:09 PST 2010

G'day Ben,

On 11/01/2010, at 4:26 , Ben Harper wrote:

> Wouldn't it be the right thing to have spatial_ref_sys.srid be an auto increment field?

I would guess it should be unique (and possibly even a primary key?), but I don't think auto-increment makes sense - better to have a system where people could provide new (or at least useful) projection information into a standard repository, and then they could be assigned a standard number.

You might want to look at this : http://www.spatialreference.org/

and if you want to contribute to epsg lists I think you go here: http://www.epsg.org/Geodetic.html

cheers

Ben