[postgis-users] RE Importing shapefiles to PostGIS

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Sun Jan 24 18:35:30 PST 2010

G'day Puneet,

On 24/01/2010, at 21:04 , P Kishor wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Ben Madin
> <lists at remoteinformation.com.au> wrote:
>> It's probably bad practice to log in as the postgres user - log in to psql, and create a new user (without a password for now), with their own database. If your computer is secure, or you don't care, create the new user as a superuser.
>
> Please explain why it is bad practice to log in as 'postgres' but ok
> to create a new user with a password or as a superuser? An explanation
> would be an useful addendum to advice such as above.

I suspect I was thinking as the postgres (system) user, not the database as such. We try to avoid anyone using this user except the database.

Having said that, trying to learn this stuff as a less than privileged user can give beginners nightmares, hence the suggestion to create a superuser if the computer was secure.

cheers

Ben