[postgis-users] Space partitioning index for points

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Thu Jul 1 17:20:13 PDT 2010

Greetings postgis-ers,

We have a need to rapidly sift through a pile of points, and the Rtree
implementation is slower than our timelines will allow. We are exploring
mutliple pathways to enhancing our performance, including creating a
indexed geohash column with ST_geohash(). "Ok", but not "great".

However, there are tantilizing references in the mailing list to improved
performance for points using space partitioning schemes. In particular, I
refer to Paul Ramsay's message of a year ago, where he said:

Nearest neighbor, as Stephen notes in the followup is not something
that is necessarily easy in general. However! Another development
on-stream for PostgreSQL 8.5 will allow us to both (a) use k-d tree
indexes for points, which are much more efficient and (b) to do
nearest-neighbor searching using the index tree, which will be a great
deal more optimal for general cases.

(
http://www.mail-archive.com/postgis-users@postgis.refractions.net/msg08026.html
)

I now note that PostgreSQL 8.5 and PostGIS 1.5 have been released, so I
would like to follow up on this topic to see if k-d trees have in fact
been implemented, or, if not, how one might start such an approach
(perhaps a topic for the dev list).

Thanks,
Bryce