[postgis-users] Instructions on Installing Postgis on Solaris

Chen, Li [Contractor] Li.Chen at andrew.com
Wed Jun 23 17:03:00 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I just finished installing the Postgis on a Solaris system. I had some problems during the process and I am lucky all got solved with the help of the community and google.
So I am sending the following instructions to share experience with others who also want to install postgis on solaris. The main steps are the same as listed in the postgis manual, but I added some details where I think appropriate.

1.       Modified PATH to: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/bin(this depends on where you install the postgres, default to be /usr/local/pgsql)

2.       Modified LD_LIBRARY_PATH to: /usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib

3.       "export" LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH

4.       Upload package "PostGIS", "Proj4", and "GEOS" onto Solaris machine by "ftp" and "put" (notice that the ftp mode needs to be set to "binary")

5.       Download GNU tar package from http://www.sunfreeware.com/indexsparc10.html (you can get all packages I mentioned here from this website, but you have to obtain a Sun Solaris CD to install SUNW packages). First extract it with "gzip  -d  source" and then install it with "pkgadd  -d  source".

6.       Using GNU tar to extract the three packages in step 4 with "usr/local/bin/tar  xvf  source".

7.       Install GNU gcc, GNU make, and any other SUNW packages if needed (reds are the packages I installed)

Solaris ships with everything you need, except for the compiler.

All this stuff lives in /usr/ccs/bin and /usr/ccs/lib.

If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following packages installed on your system:

for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as): SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo

for libraries & headers: SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms, SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h

for ucb compat: SUNWsra, SUNWsrh

8.       Install Ruby, Python, Swig, readline (if necessary).

9.       "configure", "make", and "make install" "GEOS" and "Proj4" on Solaris.

10.   Install "PostGIS". (this instruction assumes postgresql is installed, if not, you can do that as step 9).

Here are all I can think of. Please feel free to correct it or ask questions.

And many thanks to Nicklas, Simon, and Regina to their kind supports.

Cheers,

Li