[postgis-users] Dot Density idea

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu May 6 10:35:01 PDT 2010

Even-yet-random :) nice requirement. How about just starting with a
regular grid and then perturbing the elements randomly with a radius
of a cell size? You can use the area of the polygon and number of
needed points to calculate the appropriate cell size and go from
there.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Martin Davis <mbdavis at refractions.net> wrote:
> Good point about the need for even distribution of the points. That seems
> like a whole lot harder to code than simply randomly placing points in a
> polygon.  Does anyone have any pointers to algorithms for producing this
> effect?
>
> George Silva wrote:
>>
>> The really big problem with dot density is that dots can overlap
>> themselves,
>> masking the real number, so if anything will be developed in this area,
>> the
>> points should be
>>
>> A) evenly distributed
>> or
>> B) randomly distributed, but with some sort of "colision" tests, so there
>> is
>> no or little overlap.
>>
>> This is a interesting idea, especially if we could make a materialized
>> view
>> with those points, which could be added to GIS software for presentation.
>>
>> George
>>
>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Sufficool, Stanley <
>> ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov> wrote:
>>

>>> Looks nasty, but it might work:
>>>
>>> select
>>> st_line_interpolate_point(
>>>       st_intersection(
>>>               the_geom,
>>>               st_makeline(
>>>                       st_pointn(st_exteriorring(the_geom), (rand1.rand *
>>> st_npoints(st_exteriorring(the_geom)))::int),
>>>                       st_pointn(st_exteriorring(the_geom), (rand2.rand *
>>> st_npoints(st_exteriorring(the_geom)))::int)
>>>               )
>>>       )
>>>       ,rand3.rand
>>> )
>>> from insert_your_table_name_here,
>>> (select random() as rand, generate_series(1,1000) as point_number) as
>>> rand1
>>> JOIN (select random() as rand, generate_series(1,1000) as point_number)
>>> as