[postgis-users] Question on GEOMETRY type

Charles Galpin cgalpin at lhsw.com
Wed May 19 05:55:11 PDT 2010

I'm no expert but the third dimension appears to be supported by most types and the docs are pretty good about showing this. Take a point for example:

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ST_MakePoint.html

You can add a third argument to add the z coordinate.  Use ST_Y(point) to access the third dimension.

Oh, and when you add your geometry column, be sure to specify a dimension of 3.

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/AddGeometryColumn.html

hth
charles