[postgis-users] PostGIS installation error: could not find geos_c.h

Peter Cotroneo geopetrus at gmail.com
Wed May 19 07:15:00 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to install PostGIS 1.5 on an Amazon EC2 instance running the
64-bit version of Fedora 8.  I've installed PostgreSQL 8.4, Proj, GEOS, and
libxml.  When I try to configure PostGIS, using the following command:

./configure
--with-geosconfig=/root/sources/geos/geos-3.2.0/tools/geos-config

I get the following error:

<<
configure: error: could not find geos_c.h - you may need to specify the
directory of a geos-config file using --with-geosconfig

Now, I have geos_c.h installed in /root/sources/geos/geos-3.2.0/capi.  Can
someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  By the way, I'm following
these instructions:

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/147-Compiling-PostGIS-1.5-and-installing-after-Yum-PostgreSQL-Install.html

Cheers,

Petrus