[postgis-users] PostGIS: make check works, but I can't manually create a spatial database

Peter Cotroneo geopetrus at gmail.com
Wed May 26 04:16:37 PDT 2010

Hi,

I've just installed PostgreSQL 8.4.2, Proj 4.6.1, GEOS 3.2.0 (CAPI 1.6.0),
libxml 2.7.6, and PostGIS 1.5.0 on an Amazon EC2 instance running the 64-bit
version of Fedora 8.  (I compiled using GCC 4.1.2.)  After installing
PostGIS, I ran make check and that was successful.

When I try to create a spatial database (e.g., psql -d geodb -f
postgis.sql), however, it doesn't work.  I get numerous errors that look as
follows:

psql:postgis.sql:7739: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
ignored until end of transaction block
ROLLBACK
psql:postgis.sql:7744: NOTICE:  aggregate geomunion(geometry) does not
exist, skipping

My understanding is that make check creates a spatial database using the
postgis.sql script, which is essentially what I'm trying to do manually.
So, I'm a bit confused...  Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Petrus