[postgis-users] PostGIS: make check works, but I can't manually create a spatial database

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri May 28 07:50:03 PDT 2010

samclemmens wrote:

> Sorry; I inadvertently posted my previous response twice...   The line is:
>
> psql:postgis/postgis.sql:80: ERROR:  type "spheroid" already exists
>
> So, does this mean that my spatial database was successfully created the
> first time around despite the "notices" that the spatial functions (e.g.,
> st_max_distance) do not exist?

Older versions of 1.5 tried to remove some legacy functions from the
database as part of the installation which is why some people would see
error messages at the end of the installation.

Since all the SQL functions are now in a transaction, then if you can
call any PostGIS function then the installation has completed correctly.
Does "SELECT postgis_full_version()" work for you? If so, you should be
fine.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS