[postgis-users] how to write the sql if i want to find a geometry's d-distance neighbors?

sunpeng bluevaley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 13:51:09 PDT 2010

Hi,
 I've the following table,and has created the index on uid and location;
CREATE TABLE points
(
  location geometry, //assume it's a 2-dimension point
  uid integer
)

Now, I've a point P with uid= 12345, and want to find the neighbors which
are within 20, how to write the sql?Is this right?
select st_astext(location)
from points a, points b
where b.rid = 12345 and ST_DWithin(a.the_geom, b.the_geom, 20)

or use st_buffer? which one is more efficient ?

Thanks!