[postgis-users] Size of .dbf file produced with pgsql2shp

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 09:24:23 PDT 2010

Denis Rykov wrote:

> Mark, thanks for quick response, I've try to do it with bash:
>
> [sim at gis ~/gl/projects/osmrus]$ pgsql2shp -u pgsql -f dagestan.shp osm
> "SELECT st_intersection as geom from dagestan_point_attr WHERE
> highway='bus_stop'"
> Initializing...
> ERROR: Could not determine table metadata (empty table)
> [sim at gis ~/gl/projects/osmrus]$ echo $?
> 1
>
> But you wrote that
>
>     exit code of 0 on success, and 2
>     if 0 records were processed
>
> Why I get 1, but not 2?

Yes, the return code of 2 was from an old email - I reworked it based
upon strk's suggestion that trying to dump an empty table is actually an
ERROR, so now it returns 1. This is because without any geometries
present in the table, we are unable to generate the basic table metadata.

Note that the ERROR text is sent to stderr so you can capture it from
there if you need to pass the information back to the user (or to a
logfile).

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS