[postgis-users] repeating points filtering

Nicholas I nicholas.domnic.i at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 04:10:19 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have a table called locations, which contains the city name's and
landmarks.

>> some of the location name get's repeated but they all have a different
lat,lon.
>> some of the locations are very near by like within 2km.

I want to eliminate the locations that are very close by having the same
name. (only those have the same name).
distinct give's me unique record's.

does buffer help me to solve the problem. i am not able to understand... i
am confused which one to use. whether to use, buffer, distance or dwitin.

-Nicholas I