[postgis-users] generating a random spatial offset

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Mon Sep 27 19:51:51 PDT 2010

You could simply have two double precision attribute columns used to
obfuscate the point geometry.

UPDATE my_point_table
SET deltax = random(), deltay = random();

-- Select an obfuscated point
SELECT ST_Translate(the_geom, deltax, deltay)
FROM my_point_table;

The random() function returns a double between [0,1].  You could of
course scale this to meet your needs.

Cheers,
Kevin