[postgis-users] shape to postgis inporter fails or crashes

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Thu Sep 30 11:12:19 PDT 2010

Paul:
  Thanks for the reply

I was using the gui version on windows.  And yes it actually crashed.  I was using it on a machine where I cannot get to my email so I can't run the same test that causes a crash.

The crash may be from a sequence of events rather than a single event.  When I try to load another file that has caused crashes before I get the following error:

Failed record number #35
Failed SQL begins: "INSERT INTO "public"."Elevation_Point" ("objectid","nam","acc","ela","mcc","na2","na3","na4","tse","zv2","cdv","ocx","ocy","gblink","na6","akt","otn","modificati","fldbid","scale","originatin","pmid","ltt_curren","ltt_featur","ltt_versio","ltt_status","l"
Failed in pgui_exec(): ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

It processed several lines before starting to report errors but it did not crash when I did it from this location although it did at the place I have been working.

One file that gives the encoding error is afghanistan_natural.shp from the OSM shapefile dataset as does afghanistan_poi.shp and afghanistan_water.shp

Bruce