[postgis-users] "Linux" geocoder script ?

Don harterc1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 18:22:49 PDT 2011

I have got the tiger2010 geodecoder to work on my Opensuse system.
geocoder=#
geocoder=# SELECT g.rating,
geocoder-#         ST_X(geomout) As lon,
geocoder-#         ST_Y(geomout) As lat, (addy).*
geocoder-# FROM geocode('1731 New Hampshire Avenue Northwest,
Washington, DC 20010') As g;
  rating |        lon        |       lat        | address | predirabbrev
|  streetname   | streettypeabbrev | postdirabbrev | internal |
location  | stateabbrev |  zip  | parsed
--------+-------------------+------------------+---------+--------------+---------------+------------------+---------------+----------+------------+-------------+-------+--------
       0 | -77.0399013800607 | 38.9134181361424 |    1731 |
| New Hampshire | Ave              | NW            |          |
Washington | DC          | 20009 | t
(1 row)
There are a few glitches.  I noticed that I am getting this message
sometimes.
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xed6f20
HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
"client_encoding".
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
I researched this some and it appears to be a  shp2pgsql bug.
But I am using postgis-utils-2.0.0SVN-1.2.x86_64
postgis-2.0.0SVN-1.2.x86_64  where this has supposedly been fixed.  Or
could the census data be corrupted?
So I have "lost" some of the data due to this error.
I had problems with psql generating ctrl-m instead of \n which would
really mess up the script when it ran.
So after I generated my load tiger script I ran this command
tr "\r" "\n" < load_tiger > load_tiger2