[postgis-users] drawing nautical data on projection 4326

Dave dave.potts at pinan.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 02:48:46 PDT 2011

I have some line  data measured in nautical miles.

I want to draw these points on a map using the 4326 projection, the srs
entry for this projection gives the unit of measurement as degree.

A nautical mile is one minture of an arc of lattitude ie 0-60, the
projection is measured in 0-100.

So does this mean that when I want to draw a line measured in nautical
miles,  I have map 0-60 on to 0-100 grid , ie I have to apply  0.6 factor ?

So a line  starting at lat 1.2 and ending at  lat 2.7 becomes a line
1.12  to  2.42 ?

regards

Dave.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latitude>