[postgis-users] Installing a fully functional PostGIS 2.0 on Ubuntu Linux GEOS/GDAL issues

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sun Dec 25 11:15:31 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 10:53:14AM -0800, THX1138 wrote:

> The problem is that a dependency of libgdal1-dev (the 1.8 version) is
> libgeos-dev which installs and older version of the geos, so if I delete
> them, I assume gdal will give me an error when making postgis.

Yeah, once you go manually you usually have to build more things than you
planned to. That's the downside of getting used to package managers.

Take the red pill and follow the rabbit, or learn how to build your own
packages (not such a shallower hole).

No mess here building GDAL, btw. It's even helpful as there's a GDAL beta
out, you may catch some build bug before going final !

--strk;