[postgis-users] Using asKML() with google maps

R H enoop at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:43:18 PST 2011

I'm more of a DBA than a GIS developer and I hoping someone can help understand a few things?

I'm using asKML() to render some polygons in google maps through a network link.  It's in the preliminary phases and works ok.  I have seen several examples where geoServer is used with google maps to do basically them same thing.  What are the pros and cons of using something like geoServer with google maps.  Opposed to only using google maps?  Eventually I would like to add some tools to interact with the polygon data, is that where the geoServer would help?

Thanks in advance, any advice would be helpful...