[postgis-users] Mixed UTF-8 and LATIN1 in one Database

Samuel Smith samuel at groundlevel.ca
Thu Jul 7 17:52:48 PDT 2011

Hey Listers,

I’ve run into this ~issue~ times now but haven’t bothered to investigate its
implications until now.

When importing SHP into PostGIS (using pgShapeLoader) the import has asked
me to use LATIN1 encoding instead of the default UTF8. It’s easy to switch
in the Options dialog and the subsequent import(s) work.

So …

·         Has this re-encoded my LATIN1 data into UTF8?, or

·         Do I now have mixed encodings within one DB?

·         (Yes I believe in magic and Santana)

And …

·         Do I need to worry about losing characters in a re-encoding?, or

·         Specially handling mixed encodings if this is even possible?, or

·         Is it all going to work out in the end?

Cheers, Sam