[postgis-users] Newbie - Spatial Join with a large dataset

Rich B richisgeo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 12:34:02 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I have a newbie question for you guys.here goes :

I have a large dataset (a geonames world data-dump) that I've imported into
Postgis.

I want to know how to do a Spatial Join with this dataset so that I can
split the millions of points up into chunks by continent.

For example :

A user connects to the database in QGIS and wants to select all of the
cities  (I'm going to trim the data down a little more using a query later
on) and they want to bring in only the points that fall in Europe or Africa.

In a nutshell I want a user to select all the points by continent instead of

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this , and I'm probably going to slap
myself for not thinking of this earlier.

I'm relatively new to OSGIS and I'm getting the hang of it. I've been an
ESRI guy for a while.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers!!!