[postgis-users] Where does Postgres end and PostGIS begin?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Jul 23 13:49:50 PDT 2011

Hi Patrick,

The native Postgres spatial data support is primitive & of little use if you actually need to manage spatial data. It is non standard, & unsupported by virtually every mapping or analytical tool that allows you to work with spatial data. For most of these tools, when they say Postgres support, they actually mean Postgis support.

If you do have spatial data (geometries: points, lines & polygons) to manage & query, you should install & use Postgis. If you don't have spatial data, just the usual text, numbers & maybe dates & times, you just need Postgres.

Cheers,

 Brent Wood