[postgis-users] PostGIS documentation license

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 28 07:41:40 PDT 2011

+1 with Regina.

This is exactly my experience. My clients have no issues contributing
back because the cost of constantly merging their "private" code does
not offset the value added by keeping it private. On the other hand they
are VERY reluctant to integrate any GPL code base with their products
because they do not want to risk polluting the code that is legitimately
proprietary because it in inadvertently mixed in some GPL code.

A good example is mapserver.org that uses an MIT-X license and a huge
part of the development effort is funded by commercial companies
contracting to developers to add this or that feature to the base product.

I don't what to start a this or that is better war. These things tend to
be very personal beliefs and there are many models and all seem to be
working, I just think it is a shame the the ecosystem is broken into all
these camps.

-Steve