[postgis-users] Error in accessing a Postgis database - function box3d(box3d_extent) is not unique

Paul Nalos paul.nalos at safe.com
Fri Jun 17 16:57:52 PDT 2011

> I am using ArcGIS with the Data Interoperabilty Extension to access a
> Postgis database and I get the following error: ...
> ... ERROR:  function box3d(box3d_extent) is not unique ...

This is a known issue in Data Interoperability Extension 10.0, and is
expected to be resolved at version 10.1.

The Data Interoperability Extension is based on FME (www.safe.com).
One possible solution is to install FME 2011, which when configured to
extend ArcGIS, acts like the Data Interoperability Extension. This
issue (tracked by our PR 26972) has been resolved as of FME 2011 SP1.
If you or others are interested in pursuing this option, feel free to
contact me or support at safe.com.

I see you've posted this question to the Esri forum as well, and will
reply in both places.

We've had a bit of an adventure searching for SQL that works against
many different versions of PostGIS, which would be appropriate to
share on this list, but I'll save that for perhaps another time.

Regards,

Paul Nalos
Database Team Lead, Safe Software
paul.nalos at safe.com