[postgis-users] ST_OffsetCurve

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jun 29 00:21:08 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:05:04PM -0300, Felipe Provenzale wrote:

> I need to add a .patch file in Postgis, ST_OffsetCurve developed by Rafal
> Magda. I'm using Windows XP, Postgre 9.0 and Postgis 1.5, and I couldn't
> find a way to add this .patch file. I need to create parallel lines in a
> MULTILINESTRING table, with more of 600 lines, and I think that this
> function will be helpfull.
>
> Somebody could tell me how can I include this function on Postgis?

Hi Felipe,
the ST_OffsetCurve patch needs some more work before getting
included in the core. One thing is a change in the interface
so that sign of distance expresses which side of the curve
you want, another is rewriting to use the new GEOS API, as
the old one was deprecated. Finally, regress testing should
be added.

For more informations, refer to:
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/413

I'll be glad to work on such cleanup and integration but It'll
take a few hours and although a few people expressed interest
in this feature noone came up with fundings.

Maybe this could be an opportunity to try some crowdfunding, for example
trough http://pledgebank.com or similar.

--strk;