[postgis-users] gridded data

Stephen Crawford src176 at psu.edu
Mon May 9 08:28:34 PDT 2011

Hi,

How do I best use gridded data in postgres-postgis (I've only used
vector data before)?

I want to use daily weather variables that are in a grid for USA.  I
would want store the daily variables ( a new grid each day) so I can
have a database that will allow the client to send a point lat/lon and
then return a calculation based on a few days worth of two or three
variables.

Do I store each day (or variable) as a new table?  How does a grid get
stored in postgres?  Is this a job for PostGIS Raster (though I do not
want to produce images, just queries at a point)?

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Stephen Crawford