[postgis-users] Enter details into Geom column

James Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Sun May 29 13:55:05 PDT 2011

Dear all,

Would appreciate some help. I have created an existing database (with
PostGIS extension) and it has a table called CLEANEDCAMDENGPS which is
populated with approx 600,000 rows. There are 20 or so columns in the
table, two of which are Latitude and Longitude (WGS84). I would now
like to create a Geom column with points in, the values of which
should be taken from the latitude and longitude column. Could someone
provide me with sample code as to how to do this please? I had a go
with the below, but don't really know what I'm doing... neither of the
statements work...

--CREATE THE COLUMN--
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('CAMDENGPS', 'GPS_POINTS', 'geom', 4326, 'POINT', 2)

--POPULATE THE COLUMN--
INSERT INTO CLEANEDCAMDENGPS (GPS_POINTS)
VALUES ( ST_GEOMFROMTEXT('POINT((SELECT LONGITUDE FROM
CLEANEDCAMDENGPS) (SELECT LATITUDE FROM CLEANEDCAMDENGPS))', 4326,
'Point'));

Thank you

James