[postgis-users] How To Load SRTM Files into PostGIS

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 10:14:31 PDT 2011

Thanks for the response Pierre.

On Oct 4, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Pierre Racine wrote:

> You may want to try what is available at :
>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/postgres

The above won't work for me, as it requires installing different "framework" packages, etc. As I said, I already have Postgres9/PostGIS1.5.3 in /opt/local and working.

> Otherwise, I think you might be able to compile a 2.0 version and install just the raster component over your PostGIS 1.5.3 without problem. With the shared libraries renaming from one version to the other, though, this night not work...

The above statement sounds both hopeful and discouraging, and I am unable to figure out the truth from it.

First you say that I might be able to I compile a 2.0 version, and install just the raster component. I would be happy to do that, provided, of course, that I can identify the raster components that have to be copied over.

However, then you say that "with the shared libraries renaming from one version to another... this might not work."

Unless someone has already done what I am hoping for, and can chime in, I am assuming I would just have to try and see if it works, without, hopefully, screwing up my existing installation.