[postgis-users] Tiger Line 2010 - Edges

René Fournier m5 at renefournier.com
Tue Oct 18 10:53:08 PDT 2011

Hi Regina,

Yes, I was looking at that project, and it looks awesome. However, I'm not yet running PostGIS 2.0. I only really need reverse-geocoding for the US (I've gotten it working in Canada -- thanks). Until recently, it seemed like I was close to end -- since I can get the state and then nearest street. I'm just missing the city/town. All the other features of the PostGIS Tiger Geocoder aren't really needed by me.

However, it appears now that simply getting the town/city for any given street is fairly complex due to the broken-up nature of the Tiger Line data… Which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just jump into PostGIS 2.0. A couple questions:

1. Is the current prerelease version of PostGIS 2.0 relatively stable?

2. Since Macports doesn't yet offer PostiGIS 2.0, is there a Mac binary distribution you can recommend? (http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/postgres has a nice package of everything, except PostGIS 2.0...) Or should I build from source? Although I've compiled various packages in the past, I'm trying to avoid it now in order to simplify and automate the my MAMP-stack build process -- which is why I'm fond of Macports.

3. I have downloaded all the Tiger Line 2010 data (~40GB compressed) -- is it relatively easy to get all that data into a fresh PostGIS 2.0?

Now, having said I only *really* need reverse-geocoding for USA, I wouldn't be unhappy to have forward-geocoding if it wasn't too painful to get working. One important thing I need though is high performance reverse-geocoding. On my Core i7 laptop, I can reverse-geocode ~500/second… Can I expect similar performance from the Tiger Geocder in PostGIS 2.0?

So for so many questions. Although I already really love the design of Postgresql and the power of PostGIS, it's been one long learning curve getting to this point (which I thought was near the end). Looks like there's a ways to go.

Thanks.

…Rene