[postgis-users] How to set the parent schema of postgis 2.0 to "postgis" instead of "public"

THX1138 ap.joseph at live.com
Mon Apr 2 16:40:11 PDT 2012

Hello All,
I am attempting to keep my non-gis information separate from my gis
information and thus would like to create a separate postgis schema but I
have run into some problems.

I ran the following commands to move the data into a new schema:

CREATE schema postgis;
ALTER EXTENSION postgis SET SCHEMA postgis;
SET search_path TO "$user",public,postgis

Yet, for some reason when I run a spatial query such as "select
st_makevalid(geom) from jurisdictions", I get the following error:

ERROR:  function st_makevalid(postgis.geometry) does not exist
LINE 1: select st_makevalid(geom) from jurisdictions
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to fix this?

I am still using beta 3, so perhaps this error has been fixed in later
versions.

Another problem might be that I have legacy functions  installed in the
public schema and that they somehow conflict with postgis 2.0 being
installed in the postgis schema. If this is the case, is it possible to
import those functions into the postgis schema as well (or their own
schema)?

Thanks

THX1138